Sleeping healthy in old age: sleep hygiene
Aging is an inescapable process whose consequences influence both mentally and physically. Among the changes that usually affect older people is the difficulty to achieve a good rest, a problem that can be mitigated by maintaining proper sleep hygiene In order to have proper hygiene is essential. To do this, not only must we take care of the cleanliness of the body but we must also pay attention to other factors such as sleep hygiene. Its fragility can be the result of problems of urination, effective or the consumption of certain medications but often the cause of this problem is none other than age. The specialist states that although each person has some characteristics, a pattern and a quality of sleep, there are a series of recommendations to follow to have proper sleep hygiene:
- Always lie down at the same time: this measure is used to regulate the biological clock and create a routine to which the body gets used.
- The bed is for sleeping: for the brain to associate this place as a resting place, it should not be used for another function.
- Relaxation: putting into practice a routine of relaxation exercises favors the conciliation of sleep. Also, avoid stimulating activities.
- Neither alcohol nor caffeine: it is discouraged to consume exciting substances before sleeping. In addition, alcohol has a diuretic effect that increases the need to go to the bathroom.
- Light dinner: the feeling of heaviness harms rest. Although each person knows what food is best for them, it is advisable not to take heavy food in water or spicy food.
- Comfort: it is recommended to sleep on a suitable mattress and with a pillow adapted to the cervical spine.
- Environment: the ideal is a comfortable temperature, not too cold or too hot, dim lighting and no noise.
- Beware of medication: do not take medications that have not been previously prescribed by a doctor because they could aggravate the problem
- Active life: practicing a physical activity regularly that is consistent with the health of the person is recommended whenever you perform in the last hours of the day because you activate that person.
- Do not become obsessed: putting a lot of effort into falling asleep can generate nervousness and produce an effect contrary to the desired one. In this way, older people should learn to regulate their own sleep pattern, so that each one puts awareness and responsibility in their sleep hygiene.
- learn more about 2019 Medicare Supplement Plans to support the needs of your health.